HEADQUARTERS MAHARASHTRA GUJRAT AND GOA AREA

1.         Location of troops at Mumbai dates back to 18th century when Coastal Artillery was located at Mumbai. Towards the mid 18th century, the Garrison strength was around 2500 and composed of 2nd Battalion Fort Artillery, a wing of His Majesty’s 22nd Regiment, the 9th, 10th Regiments of Native Infantry and the Marine Battalion. In order to administer Garrison troops and troops of erstwhile Bombay State, a Formation Headquarter was raised at Colaba on 25 Jan 1889. The Formation was designated as Bombay District with Brigadier General Buden, DSO, the first Commander.

 

2.         During the Year 1900, certain Operational responsibilities were assigned to Bombay District Formation Headquarters and was re- designated Bombay Bridge on 10 October 1900. Command of the Formation was upgraded and Major General AG Greagh, CB, was nominated the first General Officer Commanding. The Formation was again reverted back to the original designation i.e. Bombay District on 01 November 1919, with administrative control of all static depots, installations, garrison  troops and responsibility  for upkeep/maint of all garrison barracks and other related services.

 

3.         During World War ll, the Formation was designated 107 Line of Control Area and the Formation Headquarters moved to Pune on 22 February 1943 under Major General FWB Witts, CBF, DSO, MC. The Formation was thereafter bifurcated on 01 May 1944 and the two Formation Headquarters were designated as 110 Line of Control Area located at Pune and 105 Line of Control Area located at Bombay. The Formation accomplished the herculean task of maintaining and building up one of the largest administrative back ups required for the war in Burma, now Myanmar. After the war, the Formation was designated as Bombay Area on 15 Mar 1946 and the responsibility of the Formation extended over entire Garrison and all depots in erstwhile Bombay State. Consequent to division of Bombay State into Maharashtra and Gujarat States, the Formation was re-designated to Headquarter Maharashtra and Gujarat Area on 01 May 1960.

 

4.         During 1962, 1965 and 1971 Operations, the Formation besides being responsible for administrative, maintenance, upkeep and security of all Garrison/ Cantonment, depots and static installations, was called upon to establish Maintenance Areas.

 

5.         Goa state was placed under the jurisdiction of Maharashtra and Gujarat Area with effect from 09 February 2004 and the Formation was re-designated as Maharashtra, Gujarat & Goa Area.

 

6.         The Headquarters Maharashtra Gujarat and Goa is housed in the heritage ‘Assaye Building’ at Colaba Military Station in South Mumbai.