HERITAGE

By 1980, there were five Command Dental Centres in addition to six three-chair centres and 42 one-chair centres in the army. The Armed Forces Dental Clinic was opened in May 1973 to provide dental care to all personnel of the Headquarters of the three services in Delhi. This had begun as a one-chair centre in 1951 and in 1996, it was expanded to a nine-chair centre and presently functioning as seventeen chair centre.


Almost all the field dental units had been disbanded after the war, but when hostility broke out in Jammu and Kashmir in 1947, dental units were raised again and fitted with wartime equipment. As more field units were required and duly raised, a Corps Dental Unit was authorised for each Corps in 1958, capable of providing specialized treatment. More fields units were added in 1961 and again in 1963 and the dental units in each pision were merged as companies of field ambulances (mountain) and mobile field hospitals were established.

The top selection post was raised to the rank of Maj General in 1967. Maj Gen Kartar Singh, PVSM was the first Additional Director General of the Dental Services. In keeping with the organisation and responsibilities in having a set up of nearly 400 Dental officers and allied paradental personnel, the President of India approved restructuring of the HQ of Armed Forces Dental Services into the office of Additional Directorate General of Dental Services wef 06 Jan 1997. The post of Command Dental Advisor, Central Command was upgraded to the rank of Major General in Aug 1999.

 In the same year, a state of the art unit – Army Dental Centre( Research & Referral ) was raised within the hospital building of Army Hospital (R & R). This unit will be the second such center after Armed Forces Dental Clinic, New Delhi to be a multispeciality dental centre of the A D Corps.The Army Dental Centre( Research & Referral ) is being housed in a state-of-art building with latest equipment for specialist services as well as research.

 A red letter day dawned in the histroy of Army Dental Corps in the year 2001, where on the 4th of December, the office of Additional Directorate General of Dental Services was upgraded to Directorate General of Dental Services to be headed by a Lieutenant General. Lt Gen J L Sharma, AVSM, VSM had the privilege of being the first Lieutenant General of the Army Dental Corps of the Indian Armed Forces and was the first head of Dental Corps of any standing Armed Forces in the world to be headed by a Lieutenant General.

 Another feather in the cap of this elite corps, was the designation of the Director General of the Dental Services as the Colonel Commandant of the Army Dental Corps in the year 2006. Lt Gen Paramjit Singh, PVSM, AVSM, VSM**, President’s Honorary Dental Surgeon, the Director General of Dental Services, was bestowed with the honor of being appointed as the first Colonel Commandant of the Army Dental Corps.

The Army Dental Corps is rising steadily and strongly in the horizon of military professional excellence day by day. Under the guidance of visionaries and astute leaders, this elite corps is keeping its colours flying high with pride and dignity.

Lt Gen (Retd) J L Sharma, AVSM, VSM
The first Director General of Army Dental Corps

Lt Gen Paramjit Singh, PVSM, AVSM, VSM**
President's Honorary Dental Surgeon
The first Colonel Commandant of Army Dental Corps



Lt Gen SB Sehajpal, PVSM, AVSM,VSM, PHDS
Colonel Commandant of Army Dental Corps