HERITAGE

Colonel R Manton King
       (RADC)
view link

In 1943 the Indian Medical Service Dental (IMS (D)) became the Indian Army Dental Corps (IADC) and all officers with dental qualifications were transferred to the new Corps.Though the formation of IADC was formalized by Major General Sir Campell Munro (DMS I), the main force behind the formation of IADC was Colonel R Manton King (RADC). Colonel King was not only responsible for original IMS (D) and raising but also saw to the expansion of IADC. So Colonel

King can truly be considered the architect of Dental Services in India.

Personnel of the Air force and Navy also began to receive regular dental treatment during the Second World War. One Dental officer was posted to Calcutta for the air force in 1941 and when this was found inadequate, a second followed in 1948. Secondment of Dental officers and men of the IADC to the Air Force was commenced. Orders were issued in November 1944 for raising five dental units for the RIAF which started functioning in April 1945, located at Kanpur, Secunderabad, Lahore (later moved to Hakimpet), Ambala and Jalahalli (near Bangalore), but were disbanded at the end of the war. By 1945, 84 dental units had been raised in India, 51 of them Indian and 33 British along with 29 dental laboratory units. 
The first dental officer appointed for the Indian Navy was posted to Bombay in April 1943. Prior to this, treatment had been provided by a civilian dentist. After some makeshift arrangements, one IADC officer, and later two officers were seconded to the navy.  
When the war came to an end, many of the dental units raised for the duration of hostilities were disbanded, but the necessity of retaining the corps as a permanent measure was fully accepted. A register listing 31 officers desirous of continuing in the service was drawn out of which 26 were selected for regular commission in the Indian Army Dental Corps. In 1947, as a result of partition, some of them went to Pakistan and the Indian personnel of all Army Dental Centres, whether for British or Indian troops, were united to form Military Dental Centres. A new badge was designed which had a laurel wreath surmounted by a five pointed star, crossed elephant tusks with a lotus flower at the base and a scroll containing the words 'ARMY DENTAL CORPS'. In 1950, Ashoka lions replaced the star and the authorized colour was changed to dull cherry. In 1953, by the order of the President of India a new name - A D Corps was sanctioned to be effective from 26 Jan 1950.

Corps Insignia 1950 onwards

In the late fifties, the Indian Air Force established its own dental centres and witnessed a great evolution thereafter in terms of number of dental centres and dental treatment facilities. The First Indian Dental officer to be posted on the staff of General Headquarters (India), in 1947, held the rank of captain, ie, Staff Captain. As the British officers left after independence, Indian officers took over the administrative posts, in the rank of Major, as Deputy Assistant Director Dental Services (DADDS) at Army Headquarters and Command Dental Advisors at the various commands.